This week, we bring to the dining table delicious homemade Nonya Otak-Otak shared by Share Food home cook Molly Leong. This mouth watering dish is loved by everyone in the family and her friends. Load up on the chillis to give your otak-otak an extra punch! Cooked over a wok, Molly Leong brings the fragrant taste and smell of otak-otak straight from the home. There’s no need for a grill or bbq pit because you can do this with a simple wok or pan from home.
With some interesting methods and techniques taught and showed by Molly, we’ve learnt quite a few tips and tricks from our talent Peranakan home cook!
“It is better to grill it with a banana leaf. I feel the steaming method lacks the punch in fragrance.”
“Don’t be afraid to put chunkier pieces of fish, as it adds to its beautiful texture”
Mdm Molly Leong’s amazing Nonya Otak-Otak recipe is right here!
Preparation Time: 1 hour | Cook Time: 30 mins | Total Time: 1 hr 30 mins
No. of servings: 8
- 1kg spanish mackerel, also known as “Ba-Tang” in wet market (1kg鲭鱼，也在湿巴刹称为 “Ba-Tang” 鱼。
- 6 pcs banana leaves （6片香蕉叶）
- 2 eggs （2个蛋）
- Thick Coconut milk from 1 coconut （1个椰子的浓浆。无加水。）
- 2 tbsp sugar （2汤匙糖）
- 2 tbsp cornflour （2汤匙蜀粉）
- 1 tbsp salt，as desired (1汤匙盐,随意）
- 10 fresh red chillies （10红辣椒）
- 10 dried red chillies （10干红辣椒）
- 10 slices galangal （10片高良姜）
- 2 stalks lemongrass, cut into small pieces （2枝香茅，切成小块）
- 50g belachan （40克峇拉煎）
- 8 candlenut （8个蜡烛坚果）
- 2 big onion （2大洋葱）
- 10 shallot （10葱头）
- 2 inch turmeric （2寸黄姜）
Cooking Directions 烹煮过程
Step 1: Prepare the banana leaves & fish（准备香蕉叶和鱼）
- Turn on medium-low fire over the stove. Grab the 2 ends of a leave using 2 metal tongs. Run the leaves over fire to soften it. Cut into equal sizes 6” x 6” for wrapping. Wash and set aside. （在火炉上开中低火。使用2个金属钳抓住香蕉叶的两端。将叶子放离火20公分，让它软化。将叶子切成6“x 6”。清洗并放在一边。）
- Using a spoon, debone and scrape the fish meat from the skin. Set aside ¼ portion of the fish. （使用汤匙将鱼肉刮出。把1/4份的鱼放在一边。）
Step 2: Prepare the chilli paste & make the otak （准备辣椒酱，做乌达）
- Pour ¾ portion fish, ingredients for chilli paste and seasoning into the food processor. Chop it finely. While chopping, add in thick coconut milk gradually and blend it till it becomes a smooth paste. NOTE! Do not pour in all the coconut milk at one go to prevent the paste from becoming too runny.（将¾部份的鱼，辣椒酱的材料和调味料倒入搅拌器。将材料剁碎。当材料剁碎后，逐渐加入椰浆，搅拌直到滑顺。注意！不要一次过倒入所有的椰浆，以防止乌达变得太水。）
- Remove the blade from the food processor. Add in egg and remaining fish meat, mix well using a spoon. If the consistency is too thick, mix in 2 tbsp of coconut milk at a time（从搅拌器中取出刀片。加入鸡蛋和剩余的鱼肉，用勺子拌匀。如果乌达太浓，倒入少许的椰奶，混合。）
Step 3: Wrap & grill the otah（包和烧烤乌达）
- Scoop 100g of otah into each banana leaf. Secure it with the tooth pick.（将100克乌达舀到香蕉叶中。用牙齿固定两端。）
- Heat up a flat frying pan. Grill the otak for about 10 – 14 mins. Flip occasionally until the leaves have browned evenly. To check if it is cooked, press the tong on the otak meat. It is cooked when the otak is firm. (加热煎锅, 烤乌达约10 – 14分钟。偶尔翻转直到叶子均匀地变褐。要检查是否煮熟，用金属钳按乌达。如果乌达的肉已结实，这代表它已经熟了。)
Like Molly’s recipe? You might be interested to learn how to cook Sambal Petai with Prawns!
Cook up a storm at home and share your recipes with us!
Don’t forget to like and subscribe to Share Food Singapore!