Sweet, spicy and tangy! The famous Si Chuan Dan Dan noodles is one of the most popular Chinese street food dishes. Learn how to make it with this easy recipe from Home cook, Sharon Tay.
“A mix of flavour. A healthier version of Si Chuan Dan Dan Noodle!” – Sharon Tay
The Dan Dan Noodles originates from Chinese Si Chuan cuisine. It consists of a spicy sauce containing preserved vegetables, chilli oil, Si Chuan pepper, minced pork, and scallions served over noodles. The name refers to a type of carrying pole (dan dan) that was used by walking street vendors who sold the dish to passers-by. The local people gradually came to call them Dan Dan Noodles, referencing the street vendors.
In this recipe, Sharon prepares it with crunchy cucumber for a refreshing blend of flavours. Make the dish stunning for your family and guest with cucumbers spiralised into ribbons. A comforting and delicious combination everyone would enjoy!
Grab the full recipe below now!
Preparation Time: 45 mins | Cook Time: 15 min | Total Time: 1 hr
No. of Servings: 4
- 2 cucumbers, remove the ends
- 300g fresh minced pork
- 80g pickled mustard greens. Soak for 20 mins and rinse. Repeat 3 times, julienned
- 1 tbsp si Chuan peppercorns
- 1 tbsp shallots, sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 5 pc dried chillis, soaked in hot water and deseed. Cut into fine strips.
- 2 tbsp garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp sesame paste
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp chilli oil
- 100ml chinese cooking wine
- 350ml water
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- Cornflour mixture: 2 tbsp cornflour and 1 tbsp water
- ½ tsp white pepper
- 2 tbsp hot bean paste
- ½ tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 40g spring onion: White portion: sliced | Green portion: Julienned and soak in ice water
Step 1: Spiralized the cucumber
- Place the cucumber in the spiralizer. Place it in the colander, toss with salt, place a bowl at the bottom and let it dehydrate in the refrigerator for 20 mins.
Step 2: Marinate the Meat
- Mixed the minced meat with light soya sauce, white pepper, 1 tbsp cornflour and sesame oil
- Marinate for 20 mins
Step 3: Fry the meat
- In a heated wok with peanut oil, add in dry chilies, shallots, garlic and white portion of the spring onions. Fry till it releases it’s fragrances.
- Add in minced pork, pickled mustard greens and szechuan pepper corns.
- Drizzle in the wine and give it a good mix. Add in hot bean paste & sesame paste
- Add in water, sugar, dark soya sauce and bring to boil. Allow to simmer for 15 minutes. Eensure there is sufficient liquid in the work. To add more water if needed.
- Bring to boil and add in corn flour mixture to thicken the sauce.
Step 4: Assemble the noodle
- Rinse the salted cucumber over the tap to remove the salt. Place 1 portion of the cucumber in the bowl. Pour over a ladle of minced meat over the cucumber.
- Garnish with spring onion. Add in a dash of chili oil. Serve with black vinegar on the side.
Don’t forget to like and subscribe to Share Food Singapore!