Deliciously soft mashed potatoes with minced beef. We call this the grown-up version of the classic shepherd’s pie as the minced beef is doused in Guinness stout. This Guinness Shepherd’s Pie recipe is shared by home cook Shi Jie, and it is a hearty dish that fills your tummy and warms the heart.
Here’s the trick to having soft and delicious tasting mashed potatoes. Firstly cook the potatoes till it is tender, drain out water and mash it with the right ratio of butter and milk. Season it with salt and pepper and tadah~ there you have a delicious mashed potato topping! It’s simple as that.
Why cook with Guinness stout? Stout adds depth and intensifies the flavour of the dish without adding fat. The alcohol in the stout evapourates, leaving behind a delicate taste that goes great with the mashed potatoes and savoury cheese.
Surprisingly, stout is also a healthier option. It contains nearly twice the amount of antioxidants in light coloured lagers and also contains fewer calories!
This hearty meal serves up to 4 people! Serve this dish for your next gathering and maybe enjoy a pint of stout with it too 😀
Have a recipe that you would love to share with us? We want to know more http://www.sharefood.sg/submit-your-recipe/!
Grab the full recipe below now!
No. of servings: 4 pax
Preparation Time: 30 mins | Cook Time: 1 hour | Total Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- 400g minced pork
- 400g minced beef
- 1 can Guinness
- 1 cup onion, diced (1 medium onion)
- 1 cup mixed frozen vegetables
- 1 kg potato, remove skin and cut into chunks
- 85g butter
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp salt, to taste
- 1 tsp black coarse pepper, to taste
- Chopped coriander, for garnishing
- 36L Oven
- 25cm Frying pan
*You may use a bigger pan if you have a bigger oven
Step 1: Boil the potato
- In a large pot, fill water till ½ full. Add 1 tbsp salt and potato. Stir and let it boil for 20 mins, till tender.
- Drain out the water. Mash with butter and milk, season with salt and pepper.
Step 2: Cook the minced meat & bake with mashed potato
- In a frying pan, heat up 1 tbsp oil. Sauté onion till translucent. Add in minced pork and beef, sauté to mix evenly till 50% cooked. Add salt, pepper and 1 can of Guinness. Sauté till it is 80% cooked. Switch off the fire.
Step 3: Bake with mashed potato
- Spread the meat. Cover it with the mashed potato. Ruffle with a fork. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, as desired.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 20 minutes at 200 degrees using top and bottom heat, till the potato/cheese turns golden brown.
- Once cooked, take it out from the oven and let it stand for 5 minutes. Garnish with chopped coriander before serving.
Don’t forget to like and subscribe to Share Food Singapore!