"姑姑，the grilled pork neck is delicious!" exclaimed my niece. She is 7 year-old and is extremely picky eater, but I got a vote of confidence from her!
Pork neck (as you can see from the image below) is tender and flavorful when cooked as it has the right amount of lean meat, muscle and fats. It's perfect even for someone who has braces like me! The beauty of the pork neck is that it retains moisture very well and hence it is great for slow cooking, roasting and grilling.
I started my wet market shopping at 7am for my fresh meat fix. As a novice cook, I blatantly ordered 猪颈项 (direct translation of pork neck) from the butcher at Woodlands wet market. She paused and laughed, and taught me that this part of the meat is called 五花肉 that is near the neck area. It was sold at $14.50 per kg.
Embarrassingly funny but I have learnt something new today 🙂 Here the Thai Grilled Pork Neck recipe to try it out with your family!
Recipe Type: Main Dish, Appetizer, Meat, Kids friendly
Preparation Time: 2 Hours | Cook Time: 30 mins | Total Time: 2 Hours 30 mins
No. of servings: 4
- 1kg pork neck（1公斤五花肉，靠近猪的颈部）
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar (3匙红糖）
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce (2匙蠔油）
- 1 tablespoons fish sauce （1匙鱼露)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil （3匙橄榄油)
- Dipping sauce: Thai Dried Chili sauce (蘸酱:泰式辣椒酱）
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced shallot (3匙葱，切片）
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped coriander (3匙香菜，切碎）
- 2 tablespoon of dried red pepper flakes (coarsely ground.) (3匙干辣椒片）
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce （4匙鱼露)
- Juice of 1 lime （1个酸柑， 把汁挤出）
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar (2匙红糖）
Pork Neck (五花肉)
- Cut the pork neck into wide slabs about 1.5 cm thick. Cut 2-3 slits on each piece of the meat to allow the marinade to penetrate deeper. 将五花肉切开成片约1.5 公分厚。
- Marinade: Mix brown sugar, oyster sauce and fish sauce in a big bowl until the brown sugar fully dissolve. 卤汁：在一个大碗里， 将红糖，蠔油和鱼露混合在一起直到红糖融化。
- Combine meat and marinade, pack them in a re-sealable plastic bags and place them in the refrigerator between 2 - 6 hours. 把五花肉腌泡在卤汁，放入保鲜袋。然后，放入冰箱腌制2 - 6 小时。
- Heat olive oil in frying pan at medium low heat. 在一个平底锅里用中低火将橄榄油煮热。
- Cook the meat thoroughly using medium low heat. Raise the heat to char the surface. 用中低火将五花肉煮熟， 然后用中火把外皮煮稍微焦.
- Slice and serve with dipping sauce. 将煮熟的五花肉切片， 即可和蘸酱上菜！
Dipping Sauce (蘸酱:泰式辣椒酱)
- Mix all ingredients together. 将全部的配料混合在一起。
- Adjust the taste with fish sauce, lime juice or sugar. The taste should be predominantly sour and salty. 酱汁的味道主要是酸和咸。可以用鱼露， 酸柑汁和红糖来调整味道。
- Marinate in re-sealable plastic bags which allows the meat to be evenly coated with the marinade, giving an all-round flavour to the meat.