Apart from the famous Thai Green Mango Salad which most Singaporeans love, Thai Spicy Glass Noodle Salad is something that Singaporeans would fall in love too. There are other Thai salads such as Papaya Salad, Mince Meat Salad and more. As for myself, I love the Spicy Glass Noodle Salad. What I like about the Spicy Glass Noodle Salad is that it does not soak in the sauce nor turn soft. It maintains the 'Q-ness' and the sauce engulfs around the noodle, turning the dull glass noodle into a flavourful one. This is also a good '开胃' dish as the sweet and sour blend kick start the senses on your tongue, and the glass noodle ain't too heavy for a starter as well.
Preparation time (before & after cook): 30 mins | Cook time: 10 mins | Total time: 40 mins
No. of servings: 4
- 150g of glass noodle soaked in room temperature water to soften. (150g 冬粉浸泡在水里直到软化)
- 1 tomato, cut into 6 or 8 wedges (1 个蕃茄切成6-8片)
- 1/2 onion, sliced thinly (1/2 洋葱, 切片)
- 2 stalks spring onion. Cut 2 cm long (2 个葱， 切成小条状越2公分)
- 2 stalks of chinese celery. Cut 2 cm long (2 个中国芹菜， 切成小条状越2公分)
- 5 - 6 shrimps, de-shelled and de-veined (5 - 6 只虾， 去壳和取出静脉)
- 50g mince pork (剁碎的猪肉50公克)
- 7 - 8 red chili padi, chopped finely (7 - 8 条小辣椒， 切碎)
- 10 garlic clove, chopped finely (10个蒜瓣, 切碎)
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce (3匙鱼露)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (2匙红糖)
- 3 tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed from 2 lime (3匙酸柑汁)
- 1 tablespoons soy sauce (3匙酱青)
- 1/4 cup water (4匙水)
- Boil 1/4 cup of water in a wok. Add minced pork and soy sauce into the boiling water. Lightly stir until the pork is fully cooked. Set aside the pork with the soy sauce water. 把4匙水倒入锅里， 熬煮1 分钟。倒入剁碎的猪肉和酱青， 翻煮到猪肉熟透。 然后， 将猪肉和浆汁取出。
- Use a big bowl, dissolve the brown sugar in fish sauce. Mix in chili, garlic, lime juice and cooked pork with the sauce. 在一个大碗里， 加入红糖和鱼露。搅拌到红糖融化在鱼露里。加入辣椒，蒜，酸柑汁 和将猪肉与浆汁。
- In a clean wok, boil water. Blanch the glass noodle and remove from water using a sieve after it's fully cooked (under 3 mins). Mix the glass noodle with the sauce to prevent the noodle from drying up and sticking together. 把2大碗的水倒入清洁的锅里， 熬煮2 分钟。将软化的冬粉倒入热水， 快煮1分钟， 然后用一个筛子取出， 滴干水分。把煮好的冬粉与浆汁混合。
- Use the same boiling water to cook the prawn for 1 - 2 mins. 用水煮熟虾。
- In the bowl of mixed vermicelli with sauce, add in the cooked prawn, onion, tomato, celery and spring onion. Mix lightly and ready to serve. 把虾， 洋葱， 葱， 蕃茄和芹菜加入搅拌好的冬粉。
- Top with pound cashew nut or peanut (optional).
- After boiling the glass noodle, immediately soak it in ice water. This prevents the noodle from drying and sticking up. In the event if you miss this step, you can still re-boil the glass noodle, but avoid boiling it for too long.
- Brown sugar is highly preferred than white sugar. Brown sugar melts easier which allows you to stir and mix with ease together with the fish sauce. In the absence of brown sugar, you can also use white sugar, just that it takes longer time to melt, alternatively, add a bit of hot water to dissolve the fine particles first before mixing it with the fish sauce.