Dining at a Thai restaurant is incomplete without a bowl of Tom Yam soup. The warm, spicy and sour flavor is a great appetizer before the main dish. Cooking Thai Tom Yam soup is so simple! It is also therapeutic to prepare this dish as you are being surrounded by the fragrances of the spices when it’s cooking. When it’s truly Tom Yum, it’s truly Thailand!
Ingredients we used
Preparation time: 15 mins | Cook time: 20 mins | Total preparation time: 30 mins
No. of servings: 4
- 11/2 cups of chicken broth (1 1/2杯清鸡汤）
- 7-8 large shrimp, de-shelled and de-veined. Leaving the head and tail section intact. （7-8只大虾，去壳和取出静脉，留这虾头和虾尾）
- 6 – 7 fresh kaffir lime leaves, torn into pieces and lightly bruised （6-7 片青柠叶）
- 2 sticks of lemongrass, pound the thick part to release the flavours and slice into pieces （2枝柠檬草）
- 7 – 8 very thin slices of fresh galangal （7-8片高良姜）
- 10 slices of abalone mushroom, drained and halved. Add in more if you love mushroom. （10个鲍鱼菇）
- 1 tablespoon of Nam Prik Pao （1匙Nam Prik Pao）
- 3 – 4 tablespoons of fresh lime juice, or more to taste （3 – 4 匙酸柑汁）
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce, or more to taste （2 匙鱼露）
- 5-6 small fresh red padi, sliced （7 – 8 条小辣椒， 切成小块）
- Cilantro / Coriander leaves （香菜叶）
- In a medium saucepan, bring the broth to a very gentle boil over low-medium heat for 3 minutes. 把清鸡汤倒入锅里，慢熬3分钟。
- Add in lemongrass, galangal, and kaffir lime leaves to the broth; simmer for 5 mins to allow the taste of spices fully infused into the soup. 加入柠檬草， 青柠叶， 高良姜， 慢熬5分钟让香料的味道散发在鸡汤里。
- Add the mushrooms. 加入鲍鱼菇
- Stir in Nam Prik Pao. 加入Nam Prik Pao
- Add the fish sauce, chilies and lemon juice. Simmer for another 5 mins and have a taste. If you prefer richer flavor, feel free to add in more spices and condiments. 加入鱼露， 小辣椒，酸柑汁， 慢熬5分钟。试喝汤， 如果您比较重口味， 您能再加入多一点香料或调味料。
- Add in the shrimps and slowly stir it till the flesh is firmed and turn opaque. 把虾倒入汤里，煮熟。
- Switch off the heat and stir in the cilantro leaves. 煮好后，随意加入香菜叶.
- Prefer the milky Tom Yum soup? Add in evaporated milk instead of fresh milk. It’s lesser on the sweetness and it helps bring down the overall spiciness of the soup
- To give a stronger flavour to the soup, dissect the shrimp head into half and add into the soup. The essence of the prawn head will ooze out during simmering, giving the soup a natural, prawn taste.