Featuring our beloved Salted Egg White with Minced Pork recipe where it is commonly eaten by the Chinese families during their lunch or dinner time!
While we love to try different recipes that require different types of ingredient, we also encourage the reduce of food wastage as much as possible by reusing the same ingredients to cooked a different dish.
This week's dishes will be special. Using salted egg, we create 2 different dishes, with one using the egg white, another using the egg yolk. We will showcase the egg yolk dish later. For now, let's focus on Salted Egg White with Minced Pork!
For this dish, we used the extra pork neck meat used to cooked Thai Grilled Pork Neck (last week's post) and salted egg white to make this delicious steamed pork. It is a simple and perfect dish to eat like a true traditional Teochew, who loves to add in the salty egg white into their plain porridge.
Preparation time: 10 mins | Cook time: 20 mins | Total preparation time: 30 mins
No. of servings: 4
- 4 salted duck egg white, raw (4粒咸蛋白)
- 600 grams of pork, hand minced. (600 公克猪肉， 剁碎）
- 2 teaspoons corn starch (2茶匙玉米粉)
- 4 teaspoons sesame oil (4茶匙麻油）
- 1 tablespoons light soy sauce (1茶匙酱青）
- White pepper, to taste （胡椒粉）
- Garnish: Fried shallot and spring onion (作料: 炸葱， 小葱)
- Step 1: Mince the meat. （将猪肉剁碎）。
The 3 simple steps to mince the meat （剁碎猪肉 – 简单的三步骤）:
Cut into cubes （切成方块）
- Step 2: Mix in corn starch, sesame oil, light soy sauce and pepper. Let the seasoned meat sit for at least 20 mins. （将玉米粉， 麻油，酱青和胡椒粉加入剁碎的猪肉里搅拌。腌20分钟。）
- Step 3: Spread the minced meat in a heatproof plate and pour the salted egg white on top. Use a shallow-wide plate to allow the meat to be cooked thoroughly. （把猪肉放入耐热的浅盘里， 把咸蛋白倒入。)
- Step 4: Place the steaming rack in a wok, boil the water. Once the water reach boiling point, place the plate of seasoned meat and egg white into the wok and steam for 20 mins. (把蒸架放入抄锅里， 煮热2大碗的水。当水煮开了以后， 把配好的猪肉和咸蛋白放入抄锅里蒸上20分钟。）
- Step 5: Serve it with spring onion and fried shallot. （蒸好后，放上炸葱和小葱。）
- Hand minced the meat to achieve the unequal meat size, adding to the texture when eaten.
- If you do not have pork at home, we would recommend to go with pork neck as the meat is tender and flavorful when cooked.