Bánh Xèo, pronounced as "baan say-oh", literally means cake sizzle in direct translation. Xèo refers to the sizzling sounds made when the batter touches the hot pan.
This nostalgic dish brings back fond memories for Mrs Nyugen and it is a family favourite when her siblings gather every year on 5th May to usher in the 2nd half of the year and to also celebrate a smooth-sailing 1st half.
Lucky for us - we were privileged to have savoured this wonderful dish prepared by Mrs Nyugen. Many (including us!) might not have even ordered this dish at a Vietnamese restaurant! Don't be fooled by Bánh Xèo's plain yellow appearance, chunky pork belly filling is tucked beneath its crunchy turmeric crepe! And its taste? Without a doubt, far exceeds the humble appearance and our expectations!
To fully appreciate the flavours of this dish, Bánh Xèo must be served straight from the pan. Crispy on the outside but soft and tender on the inside. Complement this dish with a zesty fish and chilli sauce and your taste buds are on its way to heaven!
If you're in Vietnam, don't forget to try some Vietnamese crepe! If not, we highly recommend that you try Bánh Xèo at home because we are sure it is definitely worth it!
Or better yet! Gather a few friends and have everyone prepare a few of the ingredients! Cook this dish together and share it!
As the saying goes, Friends who cook together, stay together. Let this be your 1st dish!
Food preparation time: 30 mins | Cook time: 15 mins | Total time: 45 mins
No. of servings: 4 (4 人份)
- 150g pre-mix Vietnamese pancake flour (150克越南煎饼粉)
- 500ml fresh grated coconut milk: $1 grated coconut. Soak with 600ml of water for 2 mins, use hand to squeeze out the juice for at least 3 times and use a strainer to separate the milk and coconut flesh.) (500毫升新鲜椰奶: 价值$ 1的椰丝放入600毫升的水，浸泡2分钟，用手挤出椰奶至少3回，并使用过滤器来分开椰奶和椰丝。)
- 3 tablespoon spring onion, chopped (3汤匙葱花)
- ½ tablespoon olive oil (半汤匙橄榄油)
- ½ teaspoon fish sauce (半茶匙鱼露)
- 175g Pork belly, cut into small strips (175克五花肉，切成小条状)
- 175g Pork liver¼ of a medium-size carrot, shredded into 5cm strips (¼中行的胡萝卜，切成条状5厘米)
- 2 tablespoon spring onion, chopped (2汤匙葱花)
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped (3瓣大蒜，切碎)
- 2x ¼ chicken stock cubes (2个¼鸡精块)
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar (半茶匙糖)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (1茶匙辣椒粉)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (2汤匙橄榄油)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (2汤匙红糖)
- ¼ cup hot water (¼杯热水)
- 6 tablespoon fish sauce (6汤匙鱼露)
- Juice of 1 key lime (1个柠檬的汁)
- 5 cloves of garlic, chopped finely (大蒜5瓣，切碎)
- 4 chilli padi, chopped finely (4个指天椒，切碎)
- ¼ of a medium-size carrot, cut into fine strips of 5 cm each (¼中行的胡萝卜，切成每5厘米细条形)
- $1 worth of beansprouts, rinsed and remove the brown shell (价值$1的豆芽, 洗，去除褐壳)
How to cook 烹煮过程
Step 1 – In a saucepan, boil 2 big bowls of water. Boil pork liver for 5 mins. After it’s fully cooked, place it on a cutting board and cut into small stripes. (在一个锅里，烧开2大碗的水，把猪肝放入水中煮10分钟。煮熟后，将它放在砧板上切成小条状。)
Step 2 – Cook the filling: In a frying pan, pour in olive oil and fry the garlic till golden brown. Add in pork belly, stir fry till it’s ¾ cooked, season with ¼ chicken stock. Add in shredded carrot, mixed and cook with pork belly, then add in ¼ chicken stock. <The flavour of the 1st ¼ of the chicken stock will infuse directly into the pork belly and the 2nd ¼ will infuse into the carrot, this allows even distribution of flavours in each ingredients>. Add in pork liver and stir fry. Season the filling with salt, sugar and pepper. Add in spring onion, cook for another 2 minutes and set aside in a plate. (馅：在一个平底锅里，倒入橄榄油炒大蒜至到金黄色。加入五花肉，翻炒直到它¾熟，放入¼鸡精块，继续翻炒。加入红萝卜丝和¼鸡精块，继续翻炒直到完全熟透。然后加入猪肝，盐，糖，胡椒粉和葱花，再煮2分钟。翻炒直到完全熟透，待用)
Step 3 – Prepare the batter: In a mixing bowl, mix crepe powder and coconut milk, stir till the powder is fully dissolved. Add in spring onion, oil and fish sauce to enhance the flavors. (煎饼湖: 在搅拌碗，将泛煎饼粉和椰奶混合在一起，搅拌均匀。加入葱，油，鱼酱，增强口味。)
Step 4 – Prepare the sauce: In a serving bowl, dissolve brown sugar in hot water. Then add in fish sauce, lime juice, garlic, chilli padi and carrot. Stir and set aside. (酱：在一个碗里，将热水中和红糖混合在一起，搅拌均匀。然后加入鱼露，柠檬汁，大蒜，小辣椒和胡萝丝。搅拌均匀，待用。)
Step 5 – In a 24cm frying pan, spread and heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Pour 1 ladle of crepe mixture and spread it on the frying pan. On 1 side of the crepe, add in a handful of beansprouts and the cooked filling. Cover up and allow the crepe to cook. 1 min later, remove the cover, fold the egg crepe into half and serve it on a plate with sauce. (在24厘米的锅里，倒入1茶匙的橄榄油。倒入1杓子的煎饼湖。在1侧，放入豆芽和馅。1分钟后，取下盖，把煎饼折成两半和酱一起享用。)
- To achieve the crispy outer layer of the crepe, make sure that the pan is hot before pouring and spreading the crepe mixture. (要这么达到酥脆的煎饼外皮呢？确保锅是热的然后才把煎饼湖倒入锅里。）
- Want to serve it beautifully in one piece? Use a non-stick frying pan and your crepe will slide it’s way out to the plate. （使用不粘锅来煎煎饼， 煮熟的煎饼就能漂亮的从锅里滑出。）
- Pork liver has a good source of protein. But if you don’t like the taste of it, don’t worry, feel free to replace it with prawns or even chicken thigh. （猪肝有良好的蛋白质。但是，如果你不喜欢它的味道，不用担心，随时与虾甚至鸡腿来代替它。）
- This is the flour that we have used for this dish. You can purchase this from Golden Mile Complex Singapore.
Recipe Credit: Nguyen Thi Phuong Thanh
Do you love to cook and/or bake?
Join Share Food as Founding Members and enjoy exclusive privileges!
Share Food is looking for home cooks and home bakers to be featured in videos and get free cookware and kitchenware! Register your interest at www.sharefood.sg
Find us on both Facebook and Instagram
Instagram - goo.gl/qTRTlg
Facebook - goo.gl/KGbFcr
Website - www.sharefood.sg