Hari Raya Haji is celebrated by all Muslims to commemorate Prophet Abraham’s faithfulness toward God. When Prophet Abraham decided to sacrifice his son, Ishamel, God appeared and a ram was sacrificed in his place. That explains why thousands of sheep are being transported into Singapore to celebrate this important festival.
Rendang is a popular dish amongst the Malay community here in Singapore, and it’s also a common dish during traditional ceremonies, weddings and festive occasions such as Hari Raya Haji and the popular choice of meat are either beef or lamb.
Share Food decided to prepare Beef Rendang to celebrate this important Muslim festival and hope all of you will like it!
Food preparation time: 30 hr | Cook time: 45 mins | Total time: 1hr 15 mins
No. of serving: 5 – 7 (5 – 7 人份)
- 500g beef cubes, cut each cube into 4 strips （500克牛肉块，每个立方切成4条状）
- 4 Potato, cut into halves （4个马铃薯，切半）
- 5 Pandan leaves. Cut 2 leaves into 10cm each, tie 3 leaves into a knot （5片香兰叶。把2片叶切成10厘米，3片叶绑成结。）
- 4 Lemon Grass bulb, pounded (4个香茅，切成一半，打扁香茅头释放香味)
- 500g Grated Coconut （500克椰丝）
- 8 tbsp Oil （8汤匙油）
- 2 ½ tbsp Brown Sugar （2 ½ 汤匙黑糖）
- 2 tbsp Salt, to taste （2汤匙盐，调味）
Chilli Paste, To blend (辣椒酱, 搅和)
- 20 shallots （20青葱）
- 4 stalks of Lemon grass, sliced （4个香茅，切片）
- 10 Candle Nuts （10个蜡烛坚果）
- 2 tsp Cumin seeds （2茶匙孜然籽）
- 2 tsp Fennel seeds （2茶匙茴香籽）
- 5 cloves Garlic （5瓣大蒜）
- 25g Ginger, remove skin, sliced （25克生姜，去皮，切片）
- 25g Galangal, remove skin, sliced （25克高良姜，去除皮肤，切片）
- 25g Tumeric, remove skin, cut into small pieces （25克姜黄，去除皮肤，切片）
- 40g Dried Chilli, soak for 10 mins and drained （40克辣椒干，浸泡10分钟，沥干）
- 150ml water（150毫升水）
Coconut Milk 椰奶
- 500g Coconut Milk, split into 2 bowls （500克椰奶，分成2碗）
- 1st bowl - Diluted Coconut milk: 200g Coconut milk with 300ml water （1碗 - 稀椰奶：200克椰子牛奶和300毫升清水混合）
- 2nd bowl - 300g Coconut milk （第二碗 - 300克椰奶）
Cooking Directions 烹煮过程
Step 1: In a heated wok, add in grated coconut and dry-fry for 5 mins. Add in 10cm Pandan leaves stripes, dry-fry till the coconut turns brown. Transfer into a bowl, remove the pandan leaves. Allow it to cool down for 10 mins, then pour it into a blender to chop it into finer pieces. （在热炒锅里，加入椰丝，干炒5分钟。加入10厘米香兰叶，干炒至椰丝变棕色。转移入碗中，取出香兰叶。让它冷却10分钟，然后倒入搅拌机打成细丝。)
Step 2: In a wok with heated oil, add in blended paste, lemon grass bulbs and knotted Pandan leaves. Stir-fry till fragrant and oil surfaces on the chilli paste. Add in Beef, stir-fry for 5 mins then add in potato. Pour in diluted coconut milk, stir to mix well. Cover the lid, lower the flame and simmer for 30 mins, stir occasionally. Use a satay stick to test the toughness of the beef and potato. Once it has softened, add in brown sugar, coconut milk, fried grated coconut and salt. Mix well and allow it to cook for another 10 mins till the gravy thickens. Ready to serve! (在一个炒锅里，热油。倒入辣椒酱，香茅和绑成结香兰叶。翻炒至到辣椒酱释放香味和油浮面。加入牛肉，翻炒5分钟，然后加入马铃薯。倒入稀椰浆，搅拌均匀。盖上盖子，降低火焰，小火焖煮30分钟，每10分钟搅拌。用沙爹棒测试牛肉和马铃薯的熟度。一旦它变软，加入红糖，椰奶，炒椰丝和盐。拌匀，许它再煮10分钟，直到酱汁变得浓稠。上菜咯！)
Recipes adapted from Molly Leong
Do you love to cook and/or bake?
Join us as Share Food Ambassador and enjoy exclusive privileges!
Share Food is looking for home cooks and home bakers to be featured in videos and get free cookware and kitchenware! Register your interest at https://www.sharefood.sg/submit-recipe
Find us on both Facebook and Instagram
Instagram – goo.gl/qTRTlg
Facebook – goo.gl/KGbFcr
Website – https://www.sharefood.sg/