The first thing we thought of Josephine's Mee Rebus when she first shared her recipe was whether it had enough of a 'wow' factor and honestly, we really weren't big fans of Mee Rebus. A confident Josephine told us that her recipe would win us over and so we took the gamble and made this video. At the end of filming, we were quite literally lost for words and the only expression we had was WOW!
Josephine's Mee Rebus did more than just win us over - she made us fall in love with Mee Rebus. The best Mee Rebus that we have ever tasted in our lives! The thought of it still makes us drool...
There isn't an ounce of peanut in this supposedly savoury dish which is centered around its thick peanut sauce. What we've found out is that there are many variations to this popular dish and while it is also known as mi rebus, or mie rebus in Indonesia. It's hard to say where this dish originated from, with egg noodles being considered as Chinese and Mee Rebus looking like much like is Javanese cousin, Mee Jawa.
While there is no way to pin-point who owns boasting rights to the originators of Mee Rebus, what's important is that we have found a recipe that we so fondly love - a version that has been perfected by a true culinary artisan. No doubt that this is also one of her husband's favourite dish - lucky man!
The savoury sauce made from sweet potatoes is to die for, tantalising every millimetre of your tastebuds. Each bite will leave you begging for more as sneaky chunks of diced beef flanks explodes with a mouthwatering broth. A must have garnish and almost a secret ingredient is the udang geragau or small shrimps (not dried shrimps!) seals the deal for Share Food's dish of the week!
Food preparation time: 1 hr | Cook time: 1 hr | Total Time: 2hrs
No. of serving: 4 to 5
- 600g yellow noodles (blanch) （600克黄色面, 烫熟）
Ingredients for the beef broth: （牛肉上汤）
- 450g of beef flanks （450克牛肉侧翼)
- 1cm ginger, thinly slice （1公分生姜，切片）
- 3 cloves of garlic （3瓣大蒜）
- Salt (盐)
Ingredients for gravy: （汤汁材料）
- 500g of Sweet Potatoes （500克红番薯）
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of Gula Melaka （1~2汤匙黑糖，切碎）
- 1 stalk of Lemongrass， cut into 3 pieces long and bruise lightly （1棵香茂，切成3块，捶扁）
- 3 tablespoons of Oil （3汤匙油）
- Salt for seasoning （盐，调味）
Rempah, to blend（酱, 搅和)
- 2 red onions （2红洋葱）
- 7 cloves garlic （7瓣大蒜）
- 3cm ginger （3公分姜）
- 40g ikan bilis，rinse and drain dry （40克江鱼仔，冲洗并沥干）
- 40g dried shrimps, soak in water for 10 minutes (40克虾米, 浸泡在水中10分钟）
- 3 stalks of lemongrass （3香茅）
- 3cm Galangal (3公分高良姜)
- 3 tablespoons of fermented soya beans（3汤匙豆瓣酱）
- 4 tablespoons of meat curry powder （4汤匙煮肉的咖喱粉）
Ingredients for the garnishing: （配料）
- Fresh udang geragau or tiny shrimps， rinse and drain. To be fried and set aside. (晒干的小虾，洗净，沥干。干炒，预用。）
- 2 pieces firm beancurd (Taufoo), pan fried and cut into cubes (2块豆腐，煎了切成块。）
- 5 Calamansi or lime， cut into half （5酸酐，切成一半.）
- 5 boiled eggs，cut into slices (5个水煮蛋，切成片。）
- Some fried shallots，homemade or store bought（炸葱， 随意）
- 3 green chillies， sliced. （3个青辣椒，切成小块）
- 250g beansprouts，lightly blanch （250克豆芽，烫熟）
Cooking Directions 烹煮过程
Preparation of the beef stock （准备牛肉上汤）
Boil beef flanks with 1.5 liter of water together with ginger, garlic and some salt for about 45 minutes to 1 hour or till beef is tender. Once beef is cooked, remove the meat. Dice the beef into small cubes. Strain the beef stock and set aside.
Preparation of the sweet potato paste （准备红番薯浆）
Rinse and remove the skin from the sweet potatoes. Put them into a steamer and steam for about 20 minutes or till soft. Transfer into a blender add ½ cup of water, puree and Set aside.
Preparation for the rempah（准备酱料）
Roughly cut the ingredients and put them into a blender and blend with some oil or water into a smooth paste .
Preparation of the gravy (准备卤汁）
Heat up the wok with 3 tablespoons of oil.
Transfer the blended ingredients and the lemongrass into the wok and fry till fragrant about 10 to 15 minutes.
Add 2 ladle of beef stock into the rempah and mix well.
Add the mashed sweet potatoes， beef cubes and the gula melaka.
Stir until well mixed.
Add another cup beef stock to the gravy until your desired consistency.
Bring the gravy to boil and set side.
For the Final Dish （准备上菜）
Put some beansprouts and yellow egg noodles in the bowl. Pour hot gravy to cover the beansprouts and yellow noodles. Ensure that the grave covers the beansprouts and noodles. Top some fried shallots, green chilli, firm bean curd cubes, egg and fried udang geragau and calamansi / lime. Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Josephine Go
You can also find us on