Don't be fooled by the humble appearance of this Fruit cake, this is another must-have on the dinner table this Christmas! It is a simple and easy recipe to follow and Lona Low has spent a considerable amount of time perfecting this recipe to ensure the right texture, taste as well as colour!
It is believed that Fruit cakes has a long history and has been around since Ancient Rome where Romans would use mix "pine nuts, barley mash, pomegranate seeds, raisins and honeyed wine and shaped it into a cake called 'Satura'." Flavour up your fruit cakes with your favourite liquor and you'll have a fruit cake that will impress and delight your guests!
A pleasant surprise to our Christmas celebration! Why not try some fruit cake for yourself today!
Oh and before we forget - remember to prep your scissors too because you're gonna need 'em - watch the full video to find out why!
Preparation Time: 30 mins | Cook Time: 4.5 hours | Total Time: 5 hours
No. of servings: 7 - 8
Christmas Boiled Fruit and Nuts Cake (圣诞果子与坚果蛋糕)
- 250 grams of unsalted butter (250克无盐奶油)
- 185 grams of soft brown sugar (185克软红糖)
- 185 grams of self-raising flour (185克自发粉)
- 125 grams of plain flour （125克普通面粉）
- 1 teaspoon of mixed spices （1茶匙千层糕香料）
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda (半茶匙苏打粉)
- 175 grams of plain water （175克水）
- 1/8 cups of rum （1/8杯朗姆酒）
- 750 grams of mixed fruits （750克混合水果干）
- 250 grams of mixed nuts：Almond, Walnut & Pistachio （250克坚果：杏仁，核桃和开心果）
- 4 eggs lightly beaten （4个鸡蛋，打散）
Baking Paper （烤纸）
9 inches round baking tin （9英寸圆形烤盘）
How to bake?
Step 1: Lining of cake tin （准备烘盘）
Due to the prolong baking time, the fruit cakes requires extra protection.
Preheat the oven to 160 degree Celsius. Refer to the video to see how the baking sheet is prepared for the baking tin.
Step 2: Preparation of Batter （准备面糊）
• In a big sauce pan, put together butter, water, sugar and mixed fruits. Stir over low heat until the butter has melted and sugar dissolved. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat, simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda. Let it cool and set aside.
• Once cooled, add in beaten eggs, rums and stir well.
• Sift in both flour together with the spices. Pour in the mixed fruits and nuts, and pour the batter into the cake tin. Smooth the surface with the spatula. Lightly knock the bottom to ensure that there are no trapped air inside.
Step 3: Bake the cake （烘烤蛋糕）
• Bake the cake in the oven for 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes. To check if the caked is baked, insert a skewer into the middle of the cake, if it comes out clean it means that is it baked. Remove cake from oven, set aside for at least 1 hr in the baking tin before consumption.
• Flavours and textures start to improve after 3 days and it can keep for 2-3 months in the freezer section. If desired, add a few tablespoons of rum periodically to the fruit cake (once in a month) to enhance the alcoholic fragrance.
How to keep the cake? （如何保存蛋糕？）
Wrap the cake with several layers to retain the moisture. 1st layer – clingy wrap, 2nd layer – kitchen towel, 3rd layer – aluminium foil, 4th layer – plastic bag. Store in freezer section.
To consume, defrost on room temperature for 3 hours.
Recipe adapted from Lona Low
Don’t forget to like and subscribe to Share Food Singapore!