Delicious, savoury and absolutely irresistable! This week's recipe comes in the form of a stew and in perfect timing with our cold Thursday morning start.
For unity, prosperity and lots of good fortune - our Auspicious Braised Pork Belly with Mushroom and Yam recipe is shared by Diana Gale, also known as #TheDomesticGoddnessWannabe to her fans. With her own rendition of a very popular dish for the Lunar New Year, she combines the ingredients of Mushrooms and Yam making this dish an great 'Huat' favourite to mark the end of 2016!
Auspicious Braised Pork Belly with Mushroom and Yam
Preparation Time: 30 mins | Cook Time: 1 hour| Total Time: 1.5 hours
No. of servings: 5 to 6
- 800g pork belly, cut into bite-sizes pieces （800克三层肉，切小块）
- 200g Yam, sliced approximately 1 - 2cm thickness （200克芋头，切片约1 - 2公分厚度）
- 12 pcs Dried Shitake mushroom, soak in tap water for 1 hr（12个香菇，浸泡水中1小时）
- 10 cloves garlic, lightly crushed （10瓣大蒜，轻轻压碎）
- 1 piece 10cm ginger, peeled and sliced （1块约10公分姜，剥皮和切片）
- 4 Star Anise （4茴香）
- 2 sticks Cinnamon （4肉桂）
- 4 Cardamom （4Cardamom）
- 4 Cloves （4丁香）
- 1 tbsp Five Spice Powder （1汤匙五香料粉）
- 4 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce （4汤匙酱油）
- 2 tbsp Light Soy Sauce （2汤匙酱青）
- 1 tsp White Pepper （1茶匙白胡椒）
- 3 tbsp Cornflour (3汤匙薯粉)
- 600ml water （500毫升水）
- 5 eggs, boiled and peeled （5个鸡蛋，煮熟和剥皮）
Marinade for pork (猪肉腌料)
- 3 tablespoons Oyster sauce （3汤匙蚝油）
- 3 teaspoons Light soy sauce （3茶匙酱青）
- 1.5 tablespoon Chinese cooking wine （1.5汤匙花雕酒）
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil （3茶匙芝油）
- 1 teaspoon white pepper （1茶匙白胡椒粉）
Cooking Directions 烹煮过程
Step 1: Marinate the Pork（腌制猪肉）
Marinate the pork with light soy sauce, chinese cooking wine, oyster sauce, sesame oil and white pepper. Set aside。
Step 2: Pan fry Yam （煎芋头）
Coat the sliced Yam lightly with cornflour. In a heated pan with oil with low medium heat, pan fry Yam until the surface turns slightly golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
Step 3: Braised Pork （焖三层肉）
- In a heated casserole with oil, pan fry ginger slices for a minute until it releases it’s fragrant. Add in garlic and continue to stir-fry for a minute. Add in star anise, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves. Cook this for 30 seconds then add in pork and mushroom.
- Once the exterior of the pork turns white, pour in five spice powder, stir to mix well. Then add in light soy sauce, dark soy sauce and white pepper.
- Pour in water, just enough to cover the meat. Bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally and check that the liquid has not totally evaporated.
- Add in yam and eggs, simmer another 10 minutes, stir occasionally. If you would like the pork to be more tender, continue to simmer a little longer.
Recipe adapted from Diana Gale @ The Domestic Goddess Wannabe
Don’t forget to like and subscribe to Share Food Singapore!