Make it your own with Shirley Lye's Hakka Yong Tau Foo! It's 100% authentic and delicious. We love our Yong Tau Foo. Even more so, when the recipe is straight from a talented home cook.
For most Hakkas, it takes great pride to share a dish that is considered "premium" back in the day! Hakkas were considered "guests" in the Guangzhou provinces when they came to settle there for work leaving their capital of Meizhou and hence their names in Chinese as '客家'.
And why is it Yong Tau Foo and not Niang Toufu?
We dug around and we pleasantly surprised to learn that,
"The ancient word ‘秧’, means ‘to plant a seedling in the middle (of a hole)’. ...In old texts about culinary dishes, it also means ‘to stuff with’, hence you have stuffed chilli (秧辣椒), stuffed brinjals (秧茄子) ... The word, currently pronounced as ‘yang’ in Mandarin, is pronounced as ‘yong’ in Hakka." - adapted from CarryitlikeHarry
Enough said. Full recipe is right below!
Preparation Time: 1 hr | Cook Time: 30 mins | Total Time: 1 hr 30 mins
No. of servings: 4
- 400g Pork / Chicken thigh （400克猪肉/鸡腿肉）
- 500g Spanish Mackerel, scrape the meat (500克马鲛鱼肉，把肉刮出来)
- Pepper （胡椒粉）
- 1 tbsp corn starch，if use pork as filling (如果使用猪肉：1汤匙玉米淀粉）
- 1 tbsp corn flour, if use chicken as filling（如果使用鸡肉：1汤匙蜀粉）
- 3 fried beancurd, aka tau pok (6豆仆)
- 3 firm beancurd (3豆腐)
- 1 bitter gourd, sliced with 1cm - 2cm thickness (1苦瓜，切成1cm〜2cm厚度)
- 1 big brinjal （1个茄子）
- 5 Red chilli （5红辣椒）
- 40g dried flat fish （40克干扁鱼）
- 60g salted mackerel fish（60克咸鱼）
- 2-3 tbsp bean paste （2-3汤匙豆酱）
- 1 tsp soya sauce, to taste (1茶匙酱青)
- Water，add more if required (水，随意）
- Spring Onion for garnishing （青葱，点缀）
Cooking Directions 烹煮过程
Step 1: Prepare the meat filling （准备肉馅）
- In the heated pan with oil, pan-fry salted fish and dried flat dish till golden brown. Transfer into a plate and set aside. （在热锅里，倒入油。把咸鱼和干扁鱼煎至金黄色。放入盘里，冷却。）
- Transfer the fried flat fish into the mini miller, chop it into powder form. Set aside. (把干扁鱼放入搅拌器里，打成粉状。)
- Attach the meat grinder, mince the chicken and fish meat into a mixing bowl. (将绞肉附件安装上，切碎鸡和鱼肉。放入一个大碗里。)
- Add in corn flour and pepper into the meat mixture. Use hand and mix evenly in 1 direction. (加入蜀粉和胡椒粉倒入肉碎里。用手并往1个方向均匀混合。)
- Add in Salted fish and flat fish powder into the meat mixture. Mix evenly. （将咸鱼和扁鱼粉加入肉碎里。均匀混合。）
Step 2: Add the filling into the vegetables and Toufu.
- Pan-fry it. (将肉馅放入蔬菜和豆腐里。煎熟。)
- Use a butter knife, spread the meat paste on all vegetables and beancurd.（用一把小刀，将肉馅抹在所有蔬菜和豆腐上。）
- In a heated pan with ¼ cup oil, pan fry all the vegetables and beancurd till the meat is cooked. Set aside. （在加热锅里，倒入1/4杯油。将所有的蔬菜和豆腐煎熟。搁置。）
Step 3: Final step – Cook Yong Tau Foo（煮酿豆腐）
In a heated saucepan, add 2 tbsp oil. Saute the bean paste until fragrant. Pour in water and lay the vegetables in the pan. Allow it to simmer until soft. Adjust the water amount and season with more bean paste and light soya sauce base on your preference. ( 在加热的锅中，加入2汤匙油。将豆酱炒香。倒入水，把料放入锅里。让它煨直到柔软。根据您的口味，您能加入豆酱和酱青调味。）
Sprinkle chopped spring onion and ready to serve. （洒上切碎的葱，即可享用！）
Recipe adapted from Shirley Lye @ Hougang
Don’t forget to like and subscribe to Share Food Singapore!