Impress your guests this Hari Raya with Kueh Keria Gula Melaka! This Sweet Potato base Asian “Doughnut” is one of the favorite Malay snacks amongst the kids and adults.
Our home cook, Zaiton, is mindful of her health when it comes to such sweet treats, by replacing white sugar with the natural Gula Melaka, giving it a fragrance and natural caramel taste to this dish!
Don’t be fooled by the ordinary appearance! The deceptively veiling rich flavor from the sweet potato and the crunchy sugar coasting will make you crave for more!
Say no more! Full recipe is right here!
Preparation Time: 30 min | Cook Time: 30 mins | Total Time: 1 hr
No. of servings: 5 (12 pieces)
- 500g Sweet Potato (white or orange)
- ½ cup Flour
- 1 tbsp Rice flour
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Fine salt
- ½ tbsp Fine sugar
- 100 g Gula Melaka
- 1 ½ tbsp Fine sugar
- ¼ cup Water
Step 1: Steam and mash the Sweet Potato
- De-skin the Sweet Potato. Steam it for 15 mins or until it softens.
- Mash it using a masher or fork.
Step 2: Prepare the dough
- Add in flour, rice flour, baking powder, salt and sugar to the mashed Sweet Potato. Mix evenly.
- Dust hand with flour and grab a ball of dough. Roll into a ball and form the shape of mini doughnut. Set aside.
Step 3: Deep fry
- Heat up oil in a wok, fry the doughnut until it is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Transfer to a plate lined with kitchen towel.
Step 4: Prepare the sugar coating and ready to serve
- In a frying pan, add in all the costing ingredients. Stir until it melts and thickens. Add in the fried doughnuts and coat it evenly for 1 – 2 mins. Switch off the fire and ready to serve.
Recipe adapted from Zaiton Thamby @ Pasir Ris
Don’t forget to like and subscribe to Share Food Singapore!