These wok-smoked chickens wings are sweet, smoky, crispy on the outside and very tender on the inside. This Fusion Tea Smoked Sweet Chicken Wings 茶薰甜鸡翅 dish would be a favorite among guests of all ages. Marinated with Ribena Blackcurrant Cordial, the natural sweetness gives an slight fruitiness to taste. Not just that, it's a healthier sugar replacement too!
A shiny, lacquer-like finish is characteristic of tea smoking. The slow heat locks in the juice of the meat, coupled with the smoky flavour from the tea leaves, it's simply amazing.
This is a cooking method that Share Food loves! It's healthy and tasty. If you have any recipes that are cooked using this method, share it with us via https://www.sharefood.sg/submit-your-recipe/!
Grab the full recipe below now!
Preparation Time: 2 hr | Cook Time: 30 mins | Total Time: 2hr 30 mins
No. of Servings: 3-4
- 14 chicken mid-joint wings
- chopped coriander, for garnish
[A] Chicken marinade
- ¼ cup Ribena Blackcurrant Cordial
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup soft brown sugar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
[B] Smoking Mix
- ½ cup white rice
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup black tea
- 6 cloves, whole
- 3 star anise pods
- 1 orange peel
Step 1: Marinate the wings
- In a bowl, mix chicken wings with [A]. Cover with cling wrap and allow it to marinate for at least 2 hrs in the chiller.
Step 2: Prepare the wok to smoke the wings
- Remove the wings from marinade and pat dry.
- Line the wok with a heavy-duty aluminium foil. Add in [B], stir to combine.
- Place a steaming rack on it. Cover with lid and switch on the fire to medium-high.
- 5 mins later, the mixture will emit smoke. Lay the wings on the steaming rack. Do not stack the wings.
- Let it cook for 5 mins. Switch off the fire and smoke it for another 10 mins.
Step 3: Grill the wings in the oven and ready to serve
- Preheat the oven at 200°C for 10 mins.
- Line the wings on the grill, broil it for 3 mins till the skin darkens.
- Serve it immediately.
Don’t forget to like and subscribe to Share Food Singapore!