For your family and loved ones. Hearty and delicious roast duck with sweet mango sauce. The epitome of any Chinese feast is one with a roast duck served in the middle of the dining table. This Fusion Roast Duck with Sweet Mango Sauce recipe is inspired from these dishes: (1) traditional roast duck, (2) Peking duck wrapped in a crepe and (3) Italian’s seared duck with red wine sauce. We’ve kept this recipe children-friendly and replaced the red wine with sweet mango sauce and Ribena Cordial. A perfect combination to surprise the taste buds of your guests and sure to be a big hit this CNY!
This DIY dish will interest your guest and the good thing is, it is not messy at all. This tart-sweet-savoury Ribena mango sauce best accompanied with fragrant egg crepe. On the first bite, you would experience the tropical fruity sweetness from the sauce. Next, the delicious and flavourful aroma of the duck comes in. The duck bursting with flavours from the skin to the succulent meat. You’ll want to finish it all.
A dish that both adult and child will like because of the fruity sauce – a blend of Ribena and Mango and the fragrance of the egg crepe and as well as the traditional roast duck. Home cook, Anne Leong recommends to try cooking this dish as it is easy to make despite the busy cooking schedule during CNY. Like every home cook, she would be cooking 8 dishes to serve 10 people and time planning is very important. So here’s why this dish is a perfect addition to your menu:
- Pre-prepare the duck the day before, and on the 2nd day, you can simply pop into the oven and let it cook on its own while using the remaining time to cook other dishes.
- Best of all this dish does not need to be served immediately! It still tastes as delicious when served at room temperature.
Have a recipe that you would love to share with us? We want to know more https://www.sharefood.sg/submit-your-recipe/!
Grab the full recipe below now!
No. of servings: 5 pax
Preparation Time: 6hr | Cook Time: 1hr 30 mins | Total Time: 7 hr 30 mins
- 1 x 2kg duck, rinsed with room temperature water
- 2 packets ready-to-eat egg crepe (10 pcs each)
- 10 sprigs of spring onions, cut into strips
[A] Dry rub
- 1 tbsp five spice powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
[B] Dry herbs for stuffing
- ½ white onion, sliced
- 1 knob of ginger, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 3 spring onion, white bulb only, sliced
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
[C] Seasoning for stuffing
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp five spice powder
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp chinese cooking oil
[D] Seasoning to blanch duck’s skin
- 12 cups of water
- 2 tbsp of dark soy sauce
- 1/3 cup of maltose
- ¼ cup of chinese cooking wine
- ¼ cup of white vinegar
- 250g fresh mango, ripened
- ½ cup Ribena blackcurrant cordial
- 1x satay stick, soak for at least 30 mins
- 1x 32L oven, the minimum required to put a duck
- 1x blender
Step 1: Rub the dry marinade on the duck
- Combine [A] together. Rub it on the duck’s skin. Set aside.
Step 2: Dry roast the herbs, prepare the stuffing & seal the duck
- In a pan without oil, fry [B] till fragrant and the onion turn brown. Add in [C], fry it for another 3 mins. Remove from stove.
- Once it has cooled down, stuff it into the duck’s cavity.
- Secure the cavity with the satay stick.
Step 3: Blanch the duck
- In a large pan, boil [D]. Lift up the duck by its neck and use a ladle to bathe the duck. Repeat 10 times till the duck’s skin tightens. Set aside.
Step 4: Dry out the duck
- Pat dry and transfer it into the chiller uncovered. Let it dry for at least 5 hours or even overnight.
Step 5: Roast the duck
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees.
- Place the duck on the baking sheet, breast facing upwards, and place it on the lowest shelf. Let it roast for 1 hr, till the skin of the duck turns duck. Flip the duck and roast for another 10 mins; this will allow an even roast overall.
- Remove from oven and let the duck rest for 15 – 20 mins.
Step 6: Prepare the Mango Ribena sauce
- Add [E] to a blender. Pulse it till the doneness you prefer. Add in more Ribena cordial for the sweetness.
Step 7: Ready to serve
- Serve the duck with egg crepe, spring onions and mango sauce.
Don’t forget to like and subscribe to Share Food Singapore!