Chunky tender chicken cooked in a blend of homemade tom yum paste and encased in a buttery pastry topped with grated cheddar cheese. This delicious Tom Yum Chicken Pie Recipe is shared by home cook Elizabeth Tan.
A new twist on an old favourite classic chicken pie. This easy-as-pie recipe will give you incredibly delicious buttery crust and succulent tender chicken filling every time. One of the best pie in your life for absolutely minimal effort.
To get started you’ll need to make the puff pastry for the pie crust. Make this process even faster by using a Kenwood kFlex. We simply place flour and salt into the clear processor, use a spatula to give it a good mix. Next add in butter and pulse twice till the butter breaks. Add in water and blitz at low speed till it becomes crumbly.
Dust your countertop and place dough over it. Pat it into a rough square and use a rolling pin to roll out the dough. Fold the dough and repeat steps 6 times. Wrap the dough in a cling wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
Roll the puff pastry and fit into the ramekin. Line the dough with baking paper and pour in rice to prevent the pastry from puffing when it is baked.
Next the aromatic and flavourful tom yum paste. Use the same Kenwood kFlex and switch the processor to the blender. Place all the ingredients into the blender and blitz until it forms a smooth paste.
This amazing tom yum chicken filling is almost too easy to prepare. In a frying pan, add in tom yum paste and fry till the colour darkens and oil seeps out. Add in the chicken and mixed vegetables. Fry until the chicken is fully cooked.
Now it’s time to put these awesome ingredients together. Fill the puff pastry generously with tom yum chicken filling and top it with grated cheddar cheese. Bake for 12 minutes at 170 degrees.
Get ready to take in all the compliments! Your friends and family will love having their own individual Tom Yum Chicken pie with that delicious buttery crust and fragrant filling.
Have a recipe that you would love to share with us? Send it to us at https://www.sharefood.sg/submit-recipe/!
Grab the full recipe below now!
No. of servings: 4 pies
Preparation Time: 3 hr | Cook Time: 45 mins | Total Time: 3 hr 45 mins
Pie ingredients (A)
- 125g all-purpose flour, sieved
- ¼ tsp fine salt
- 140g cold unsalted butter, cut into cube
- 2 tbsp ice cold water
Tom Yum chilli paste ingredients (B)
- 2 stalk lemongrass, cut into small pieces
- 12 cm piece fresh galangal, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 8 pcs kaffir leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp nam prik pao (thai roasted chilli paste)
- 8 red chillies, deseed
- 5 tbsp fish sauce
- Lime juice (extracted from 4 limes)
- 2 small red onion roughly, chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 5 sprigs of coriander, chopped
- ¼ cup oil, as more as required to blend the ingredients
Pie filling ingredients (C)
- 500g chicken thigh, cut into small pieces
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp coarse black pepper
- 1 cup mixed vegetables
- 4 tbsp tom yum paste
Topping ingredients (D)
- 1 pkt grated cheddar cheese
- 4 ramekins, diameter 9cm
- 1 bowl, diameter 15cm (to cut the dough)
- 1 rolling pin
Step 1: Prepare the puff pastry
- In a Kenwood food processor, place flour and salt. Use a spatula and give it a good mix. Add in butter, pulse twice till the butter breaks into smaller pieces.
- Add in water and blitz it at low speed till it becomes crumbly. The dough is ready when you pinch the mixture and it comes together.
- Dust the worktop generously with flour and place dough over it. Pat it into a rough square. Here’s a tip, when you see chunks of butter or if the dough seems too dry, do not add extra water. The dough will come together with each roll.
- Dust the rolling pin, roll the dough out forward into a rectangle.
- Fold the bottom 1/3 to the middle, fold the top 1/3 to the middle. Turn the dough clockwise and roll it into the rectangle.
- Repeat the same steps six times.
- When that is done, wrap the dough in the cling wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
Step 2: Prepare the tom yum paste
- Switch the food processor to the blender and place all the ingredients in. Blitz the ingredients until it forms a smooth paste. Add in more oil gradually to make the blend smoother.
Step 3: Prepare and cook the chicken
- In a frying pan, add the tom yum paste and fry until the colour darkens and the oil has seeped out. Add in chicken and mixed vegetables. Fry till the chicken is fully cooked through.
Step 4: Roll out the puff pastry, fit into the ramekin and bake
- Preheat the oven to 190oC.
- Line the base of the ramekins with baking paper.
- Roll out the puff pastry to about 0.5cm thickness. A gentle reminder not to roll it too thin as it will be too crumbly to handle after it is baked.
- Use the 15cm diameter bowl to cut the dough. Transfer the dough to the ramekin and gently push it down to form the shape.
- With the remaining dough, grab them together, roll it, cut out the 15cm shape and fit it into the ramekin. Repeat the same steps for the remaining ramekin.
- Line another layer of baking paper on the dough and pour rice into it. The rice is used as a weight and prevents the pastry from puffing up when it is baked.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 30 mins till the pastry turns brown on top.
Step 5: Add the filling to the baked pie, top with cheese and bake
- Once the puff pastry is baked, remove the rice and baking paper. Remove the pastry from the ramekin.
- Fill it generously with the chicken filling and top it up with grated cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 10 – 12 min at 170oC till the cheese bubbles.
- Best to be served immediately!
Don’t forget to like and subscribe to Share Food Singapore!