Cooking Black Vinegar Pig Trotter has never been this easy! Take a look at the recipe and you will understand why.
Black Vinegar Pig Trotter is a traditional Cantonese postnatal dish. It aids mothers who have just delivered their newborn baby to restore their health from the fatigue during the pregnancy, while the ginger is said to help remove 'excess wind', in Chinese we say it is 去风.
For Mdm Cheng, this is not only a dish that is eaten during confinement. She cooks it during festive celebrations and it is for the very simple fact that her family loves it! Instead of adding hard boil eggs into this dish, Mdm Cheng did a minor tweak to the original recipe and replace it with radish instead. We were skeptical at first but were impressed with how good the radish taste when it's cooked. It is a perfect infusion of the sour vinegar with the natural sweetness from the radish. *Impressed*
If you have been yearning for this dish, look no further than this recipe! If you like it more sour, add in more black vinegar. If you like it a little sweeter, add in more rock sugar. That's the beauty of home cooking - Do it your way! Try the Black Vinegar Pig Trotter with Radish today!
Proportion of Black vinegar to Water= 1 : 1.5
|6 people||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||Passive Time|
|1 hour||3 hours|
Black Vinegar Pig Trotter is a traditional Cantonese postnatal dish. You can tweak the recipe to be more sour by adding more black vinegar or to be sweeter by adding more rock sugar. That's the beauty of home cooking - Do it your way!
- 1 kg pig trotter front feet (1公斤猪前脚/猪手）
- 500 g ginger (500克姜)
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce (2汤匙酱油)
- 560 ml black vinegar using Chan Kong Thye vinegar, about 3/4 bottle (560毫升陳公泰正糯米甜黑醋，3/4 瓶)
- 840 ml water （840 毫升水）
- 90 – 120g g rock sugar (90g – 120g 冰糖)
- 1 radish medium size (1 中形白萝卜)
- Step 1: In a mixing bowl, marinate the pig trotter with dark soy sauce. Seal the bowl， put it in the chiller and allow it to marinate for 3 hrs. (在搅拌碗里，把酱油和猪脚拌匀。用保鲜膜盖上，放入冰箱腌3小时。)
- Step 2: Deskin the radish and cut into big pieces (去掉白萝卜的皮，切成粗块）
- Step 3: With the skin, wash the ginger and pound it to release it’s flavour (把姜冲洗干净，用杵和臼把姜捣开，释放它的味道。)
- Step 4: In a big pot, pour in black vinegar, water, ginger and radish. Simmer it on low fire for 20 mins to release the flavours. Add in rock sugar and pig trotter. Simmer it on low fire for at least 1 hr to achieve the soft texture of the pig trotter. NOTE: The liquid must cover the ingredients. (在一个大锅里，倒入醋，水，姜和白萝卜。用小火煨20分钟。加入冰糖和猪脚。用小火煨至少1小时。注：醋汁必须盖过全部的料。)
- Step 5: Ready to serve. 上菜咯！
Recipe by: Cheng Geck Chau
Do you love to cook and/or bake?
Join Share Food as Founding Members and enjoy exclusive privileges!
Share Food is looking for home cooks and home bakers to be featured in videos and get free cookware and kitchenware! Register your interest at www.sharefood.sg/submit-recipe
Find us on both Facebook and Instagram
Instagram - goo.gl/qTRTlg
Facebook - goo.gl/KGbFcr
Website - www.sharefood.sg