Yam Cake, also known as Taro Cake, is a pretty popular Chinese dish which can be easily found in dim sum and yum cha restaurants. It’s usually served in pan-fried style with chilli sauce and black soy sauce as the accompany sauces. Frankly speaking, this dish deserves more credit than how the restaurants have been serving them. We came across Diana Gale’s blog and she has tons of recipes on her blog! Do check it out. She had a recipe for a rather special mix of yam cake. The yam isn’t alone, as it’s now accompanied by the pumpkin! With her permission, we adapted her recipe , cooked and filmed in our Share Food Studio.
After steaming the yam and pumpkin cake, we pan fried it and serve with dark sweet sauce and.. oh my… it’s really really crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, with the pumpkin pumping in the sweetness, giving the dish a different feel altogether. Both yam and pumpkin are relatively affordable here in Singapore, why not give this dish a try this weekend?
|8 people||30 minutes|
After steaming the yam and pumpkin cake, we pan fried it and serve with dark sweet sauce and.. oh my… it’s really really crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, with the pumpkin pumping in the sweetness, giving the dish a different feel altogether.
- 300 g rice flour (300克粘米粉)
- 25 g tapioca starch (25克木薯粉 / 茨粉)
- 1000 ml water (1000 毫升水)
- 300 g pumpkin skin removed and diced （300克南瓜，去皮，切粒）
- 300 g yam skin removed and diced （300克芋头,去皮，切粒）
- 5 shallots sliced (5小葱头，切片)
- 40 g dried prawns soaked in hot water for 15 minutes and drained (40克虾米，用热水浸泡15分钟，沥干)
- 6 dried shitake mushrooms rehydrated, stems removed and diced (6个香菇，用热水浸泡15分钟，去根, 切粒)
- 1 chinese sausage diced (1腊肠，切粒)
- 1 teaspoon chicken powder or salt （1茶匙鸡粉或盐)
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper (1/2茶匙白胡椒粉)
- spring onion chopped (青葱)
- chili sliced (辣椒，切片）
- roasted sesame seeds (烤芝麻)
- fried shallots (炸葱)
- light soy sauce (酱青)
- sweet sauce (甜酱)
- Step 1: Prepare the flour mixture - Whisk rice flour, tapioca starch and water together. Once combined, leave this to sit for about 30 minutes. (用拂把粘米粉，木薯粉和水搅拌在一起。一旦混合，放在一旁约30分钟，备用。）
- Step 2: Cook the ingredients - Heat oil in a frying pan, sauté the sliced shallots until soft. Add dried prawns and stir fry, until the aroma of the dried prawns releases. Add in mushroom and chinese sausage, stir-fry for 2 mins. Add in diced yam and pumpkin, season with chicken powder (or salt) and white pepper. Continue to stir and cook for about 4 minutes. Pour the flour mixture into the skillet. Cook on medium-low heat, stirring continuously, until the mixture has thickened. (在炒锅里，烧热油，爆香小葱头。加入虾米翻炒，直到虾米释放香味。倒入香菇和腊肠，翻炒2分钟。然后加入芋头粒，南瓜粒，鸡粉（或盐）和胡椒粉。继续搅拌，煮约4分钟。最后，倒入面糊。用中火不断搅拌，直到面糊变稠。)
- Step 3: Steam the cake - Transfer everything into a 10-inch round baking tray. Flat and smooth the top with a spatula or a spoon. Steam for 50 – 60 mins, or until the cake has set. (把面糊倒入一个10英寸的烤盘。用勺子或汤匙把的面糊压平。蒸50 - 60分钟，或直到蛋糕定形。)
- Step 4: Remove the cake from the steamer or wok, allow it to cool down. (把芋头糕从蒸锅中取出，让它冷却下来。)
- Step 5: Ready to serve - Cut into pieces to serve, or you can pan fry pieces of kueh in a little oil until the sides are golden brown. (成片即可品尝。或者，您也可以用少许的油，把芋头糕煎到金黄色。)
- Step 6: Top up with condiments - To serve, top with chopped spring onion, fried shallots, roasted sesame seeds and sliced chili. Eat this with light soy sauce or sweet sauce. And also chili! (食用时，您也可以用青葱，炸葱，烤芝麻和辣椒做点缀。用酱青或甜酱提味。)
Recipe adapted from Diana Gale, blogger of The Domestic Goddess Wannabe.
Do you love to cook and/or bake?
Join Share Food as Founding Members and enjoy exclusive privileges!
Share Food is looking for home cooks and home bakers to be featured in videos and get free cookware and kitchenware! Register your interest at https://www.sharefood.sg/
Find us on both Facebook and Instagram
Instagram – goo.gl/qTRTlg
Facebook – goo.gl/KGbFcr
Website – https://www.sharefood.sg/