The salted egg challenge part 2 (previous dish: Salted Egg White with Minced Pork), we are using the salted egg yolk to create a dish with lotus root! We came up with this Crispy lotus root with salted egg yolk to try!
The process of preparing this dish is a little tedious but the effort is all worth it! It is crispy and tasty and best of all, it is well liked by the young and old at home! This is a dish that we will definitely cook again!
Food preparation time: 15 mins | Cook time: 45 mins | Total time: 1 hr
No. of serving: 4 – 5 pax
- 1kg lotus root, peeled skin and thinly sliced （1公斤莲藕, 消皮切片）
- 500ml water （500 毫升的水）
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar （4 匙白米醋）
- Tapioca flour to coat （木薯粉）
- 50g butter （50公克牛油）
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped (2个蒜瓣, 切碎)
- 8 chilies padi, chopped (8条小辣椒， 切碎)
- 15g curry leaves, cleaned (15公克咖喱叶, 清洗干净）
- 5 salted egg yolks, steamed for 7 minutes and mashed while hot （5个咸蛋黄）
- 1 teaspoon sugar （1茶匙糖）
- 1/4 teaspoon salt （1/4茶匙盐）
- Step 1: Steam the salted egg yolk for 7 mins. Remove it from the wok and mash it using a fork. Set aside. 把咸蛋黄方入锅里蒸。 蒸好后， 用叉按碎。
- Step 2: While the salted egg yolk is steaming, in another saucepan, bring water and vinegar to boil and blanch the lotus root slices for 5 minutes. Remove lotus from the water using a sieve and dry with kitchen towels (把水和白米醋倒入锅里煮热。将切片的莲藕放入水中， 慢煮5分钟。用筛子取出， 滴干水分。然后， 放在纸上弄干。）
- Step 3: Coat lotus root with tapioca flour, remove excess, and deep fry in hot oil until golden brown. (木薯粉沾在莲藕上，去除多余的木薯粉。沾好后， 放到锅里油炸。）
- Step 4: Heat a wok over medium heat，melt the butter. Add in garlic, chilies and curry leave, stir fry till the fragrances of the spices releases. Mix in the mashed salted egg yolks, sugar and salt. Stir fry till the mixture turns golden. （在另一个锅里， 放入牛油, 煮热直融化。加入蒜瓣，小辣椒，咖喱叶，翻炒直到香味散发出来。将按碎的咸蛋黄, 糖和盐，继续翻炒直到金黄色。）
- Step 5 : Add the lotus root chips and toss to coat in the mixture. （把炸好的莲藕片放入锅里翻炒。）
- Instead of using a knife to cut the chili, hold the stem and cut the chili using a scissor. This is to minimize contact so that the chilli sap does not stays on the chopping board and on your fingers.
- After blanching the lotus root, they might get a little fragile. Be gentle while drying and coating them with the flour
- You can use Cornstarch if you do not have tapioca flour at home.