Yam Abacus Seeds is a Hakka delicacy. Its round shape signifies reunion, health and good fortune and hence it is a must-have dish for every festive season!
While many might say that this dish is really difficult to make, we beg to differ. And even as tough as it may sound, the taste and aromatic flavours of this dish is worth your every effort.
This evasive dish is probably not an easy find at most F&B outlets, so why not give this recipe a try? Graciously shared by Mdm Cheng, she has cooked this dish for more than 20 years. If we could nail this dish on our first trial, we're very sure you can too!
|6 people||1 hour|
Yam Abacus Seeds is a Hakka delicacy. Its round shape signifies reunion, health and good fortune and hence it is a must-have dish for every festive season! While many might say that this dish is really difficult to make, we beg to differ. And even as tough as it may sound, the taste and aromatic flavours of this dish is worth your every effort.
- 500 g yam (500克芋头)
- 400 ml tapioca starch (400毫升茨粉)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (2汤匙橄榄油)
- 250 g pork belly （250克五花肉）
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil (1茶匙麻油)
- 1 teaspoon salt (1茶匙盐)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (1茶匙胡椒粉)
- 1 tablespoon dark soya sauce (1汤匙酱油)
- 80 g dried shrimps （80克虾米）
- 8 dried mushrooms (8个干香菇)
- 35 g dried shredded squid （35克鱿鱼丝， 1包）
- 3 pieces chilli padi cut into small（3个小辣椒，切成小块）
- 4 cloves garlic chopped finely （4瓣大蒜，切碎)
- 3 scallions sliced thinly （3 个蒜，切丝）
- 3 teaspoons soya sauce 1茶匙酱油
- 1 teaspoon pepper （1茶匙胡椒粉）
- 1 tablespoon white castor sugar （1茶匙糖）
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (4汤匙橄榄油)
- 100 ml water (100毫升水)
- Step 1: De-skin and shred the yam。Steam the shredded yam for 15 mins till it softens (把芋头的皮去掉，然后刨条. 蒸15分钟，直到芋头软化。)
- Step 2: Transfer the steamed yam into a big mixing bowl. Mash it.（把蒸好的芋头倒入搅拌碗，捣碎。）
- Step 3: While the mashed yam is still warm, add in 100ml of tapioca starch in 4 intervals. At each interval, use hand and knead the starch into the yam. After all the tapioca starch is well kneaded, grab a small portion of the dough, form the shape of an abacus seed and drop it into a pot of boiling water. Remove it after it floats on the surface. Take a bite to check if you like the texture. Add in more tapioca flour if you find it too soft. （乘芋头的温度还热时，分成4次加入100毫升的茨粉，每加入一次就用手把茨粉和芋头揉合。当茨粉和芋头充分混合后，拿一小块的面团， 形成一个算盘子的形状。 在一个小锅里煮滚100毫升的水，然后把算盘子放入。当它浮在水面后，取出。试口感。 如果要硬一些， 在面团里加入多一点茨粉。如果，口感适合您的胃口， 您就继续揉算盘子，直到面团用完。)
- Step 4: In a big pot of boiling water, pour in all the abacus seed. Once it floats, use a strainer and remove from the water. Transfer it into a big bowl of room temperature water. (在大锅里煮热水，倒入所有的算盘子。一但它浮在水面上后，使用过滤器把算盘子捞起。转移到一碗水。)
- Step 5: Once the abacus seeds cool down, remove the abacus seed from the water and pour it into an air-tight container. Pour 1 tablespoon of oil and stir gently. Then, refrigerate overnight. (一旦算盘子降温，把它捞起， 放入盒子里。倒入1汤匙油，轻轻搅拌。隔夜冷藏 )
- Slice the pork into tiny strips. Marinate with sesame oil, dark soy sauce, salt and pepper。 (把猪肉成小的条状。用麻油，酱油，盐和胡椒粉腌制肉。)
- Soak the mushroom in a bowl of hot water with sugar for 5 mins. Once it is softened, slice into thin strips. (用糖和一碗热水浸泡蘑菇。10分钟后，切成细条。)
- Soak dried shrimps in a bowl of room temperature water for 5 mins. Once it softened, remove from water and chop into fine pieces （将虾米浸泡在一碗水里。5分钟后，从水中捞出切成细块）
- Rinse dried shredded squid with water （用水冲洗鱿鱼丝）
- Rinse the scallion and slice thinly（用水把蒜里的泥土冲洗干净，然后切成丝。）
- In a hot frying pan, add in dried shrimp and dried shredded squid. Fry till it dries up. Add in oil, mushroom, chilli padi, garlic and pork. Add in scallions when the pork is ¾ cooked. Add in soy sauce, pepper and water to taste. Lastly, add in abacus seeds. Mix well and serve。(在热煎锅里，放入虾米和鱿鱼丝，把它炒干。加入油，蘑菇，小辣椒，大蒜和猪肉，一起翻炒。再加入蒜丝。倒入酱油，胡椒粉和水调味。最后，加入算盘子。）
Recipe by: Cheng Geck Chau
Do you love to cook and/or bake?
Join Share Food as Founding Members and enjoy exclusive privileges!
Share Food is looking for home cooks and home bakers to be featured in videos and get free cookware and kitchenware! Register your interest at www.sharefood.sg/submit-recipe
Find us on both Facebook and Instagram
Instagram - goo.gl/qTRTlg
Facebook - goo.gl/KGbFcr
Website - www.sharefood.sg