Sweet Corn Custard Pudding (also known as Kuih Jagung) is one of the most ingenious ways Malaysians use sweet corn. For anyone who feels that corn should be more widely known as a dessert ingredient, they should taste this luscious pudding!
Kuih Jagung has a fragrant, semi-soft, slightly chewy texture. It has just the right amount of sweetness. The combination of creamy sweet corn and coconut milk perform a delightful duo. The inviting aroma of the duo will sure send a tempting invitation to your mouth!
The highlight of this dessert is definitely the creamy corn kernels that dots the kuih. Follow home cook Jessie Koey’s steps to create this dish!
Here are the ingredients you’ll need: 1 tetra packet of Del-Monte Sweet Corn Cream Style, coconut cream, water, fresh unsweetened soybean milk, jelly powder, gula melaka, white castor sugar, custard powder and salted butter.
Firstly, prepare the custard mixture.
Combine coconut cream with custard powder and water.
Mix well by whisking till the custard powder has fully dissolved.
Secondly, prepare the soy milk mixture.
In a saucepan, combine soy milk, sugar, gula melaka and jelly powder. Bring the mixture to a boil.
Add in cream corn and salt. Ensure that it is well mixed.
We used Del Monte’s Creamy Sweet Corn for this recipe. This is because they use golden corn that are freshly cut! It is picked and packed at the peak of the season for the highest standard in freshness and flavour and sealed in a convenient tetra pack for lasting goodness.
Sieve and pour coconut milk mixture into the saucepan gradually. Stir over low heat till all the ingredients combines.
Add in butter and continue to stir till custard thickens. Here’s a tip! The butter helps to give shine to the pudding.
Pour the mixture into the square pan and level it. Leave the mixture to cool completely in room temperature. Once cooled, transfer into the refrigerator to chill it for at least an hour.
Unmould the pudding from the tin and slice it using a crinkle knife.
You can now serve the dish! Isn’t it simple?
Have a recipe that you would love to share with us? Send it to us at https://www.sharefood.sg/submit-recipe/!
Grab the full recipe below now!
- 400 ml coconut cream
- 100 ml water
- 500 ml fresh unsweetened soy bean milk
- 13 g jelly powder
- 1 tetra packet Del Monte Sweet Corn Cream Style 380g
- 50 g gula melaka shaved
- 100 g white castor sugar
- 200 g custard powder
- 1 tsp salted butter
- In a saucepan, add in soy milk, sugar, gula melaka and jelly powder.
- Bring it to a boil. Then, switch to lower heat and simmer till sugar dissolved completely.
- Sieve the mixture and transfer to a clean saucepan.
- In a clean bowl, add in custard powder and coconut cream and water. Whisk to mix well till the custard powder fully dissolved, set aside.
- Heat up the soy milk mixture and bring it to a boil. Add in cream corn and salt, stir to well mix.
- Pour in the coconut milk mixture gradually. Stir over low heat till all the ingredients comes together.
- Add in butter and continue to stir till custard thickens. #Tip: The butter is to give shine to the pudding.
- Pour the mixture into the square pan and level it. Cool it completely in room temperature and transfer into the refrigerator to chill it for at least 1 hr.
- Unmold the pudding from the tin and slice it using a crinkle knife.
- Place pudding on a serving plate before serving.
Don’t forget to like and subscribe to Share Food Singapore!