- 400 g minced chicken
- 100 g Del Monte mixed vegetables
- 1 egg
- 4 water chestnuts peeled and chopped
- 10 g cornstarch
- 1 tbsp light soya sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 stalk spring onion chopped
- cooking oil enough to deep fry
- 1 bunch bok choy
- 6 slices ginger
- 1/2 stalk spring onion sliced
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp cooking wine
- 500 ml water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 20 g rock sugar
- cornflour water 2 tbsp cornflour + 2 tbsp water
Step 1: Prepare the meatballs
- In a mixing bowl, add the minced chicken, water chestnuts, mixed vegetables, spring onion, egg, corn starch, light soya sauce and salt. Use your hands or spatula to mix well.
- Form the meatball mixture into round shapes. Heat oil in a large saucepan to 200℃ and fry until the meatballs are golden brown. #Tip: shape the meatballs while frying with a spoon and spatula.
- Lower the heat and drain the excess oil, leaving enough to coat the pan.
Step 2: Prepare the gravy
- Add the sliced ginger and spring onion and fry for 1 minute.
- Mix the light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, and cooking wine together before adding to the saucepan.
- Add the water and bring the gravy to a boil then let the meatballs simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add rock sugar and salt to the gravy and stir to dissolve.
- Add cornflour water to the gravy and stir to thicken. Remove from heat.
Step 3: Serve
- Blanch the bok choy in boiling water for 2-3 minutes then arrange on a serving plate. Plate the meatballs over the bok choy and spoon the gravy over them.