- 1 kg Fresh Hybrid Longhu Grouper 龙虎班 use half a lemon to clean the fish
- 2 tbsp oil
- 5 dried shiitake mushrooms soak overnight and sliced
- 2 chili padi deseed and minced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 stalk spring onion shred thinly
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 1/2 tsp light soya sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- spring onion shred thinly and soaked in water to curl up
- chili padi
- green peas
Step 1 - Prepare the fish
- Cut off the fins, head, and tail of the fish. Discard the fins but set aside the head and tail. #Tip: use kitchen scissors to help cut through thick bones.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the fish into 1 inch slices while leaving 1-2cm intact so that the fish is still joined at the stomach. Set the fish aside.
Step 2 - Cook the mushrooms and prepare the sauce and pour over the fish
- In a pan, heat up 2tbsp of oil. Add the garlic, chili padi, and mushrooms. Stir fry until browned then remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, add all the sauce ingredients and mix well. Set the sauce aside.
- Arrange the fish onto a steaming plate so that the slices fan out in a circle. Place the tail and head in the center of the dish.
- Lay 1-2 pieces of mushrooms on each slice of the fish with chopsticks. Pour the sauce over the fish.
- Put the dish into a steamer and steam for 15 minutes.
Step 3 - Garnish and serve
- Garnish the dish with carrots, chili padi, green peas, and spring onions.
- Serve hot.