- 8 prawn heads
- 115 g chicken bones
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 115 g minced chicken
- 55 g minced prawn
- 115 g crab meat flakes not crab meat stick
- 100 g Del Monte mixed vegetables
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup bamboo shoots julienned and blanched
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 clove garlic
- sambal belachan served on the side
Step 1- Prepare the stock
- Fry the prawn shells in a large pot or wok with oil till fragrant and shells turn red.
- Add 500ml of chicken stock to the pot.
- Press the prawn heads to release the flavours. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Skim the top or strain to retain a clear stock. Set aside.
Step 2- Prepare the meat balls
- Mix minced chicken, minced prawns, flaked crab meat and mixed vegetables evenly.
- Add egg yolk, salt, pepper, and corn flour to bind the ingredients. Set mixture aside in fridge to season for 30 minutes.
Step 3- Cook the soup
- Heat oil and stir fry garlic till fragrant in a pan. Add bamboo shoots, followed by carrots. Set aside.
- Bring the stock from step 1 to a boil and add the stir-fried ingredients. Lower heat to medium and gently add the meat balls, taking care not to break them up. Allow meat balls to cook for about 5 minutes. Lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve with sambal belachan on the side.