- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 500 g minced beef
- 1 1/2 large yellow onion
- 3 capsicum chopped
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 1 cup Del Monte Tomato Paste
- 3 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp pepper to taste
- 5 large eggs
- Parsley leaves garnish
- Red pepper flakes optional
Step 1: Cook the vegetables and minced beef
- Heat 6 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onions, green peppers, garlic, spices, salt and pepper. Stir fry for 10 minutes until the vegetables have softened.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and sugar. Mix well and add the minced beef. Stir and cook for 5 minutes. #Tip: if the mixture looks too dry, add some water to the mixture and mix well.
- Once the beef is cooked, let the mixture simmer for 10-12 minutes until the sauce begins to reduce. Do a taste test and adjust the seasoning to your liking.
Step 2: Add and cook the eggs
- Using a wooden spoon, make 5 indentations, or “wells,” in the tomato mixture. Make sure the indentations are evenly spaced out. Gently crack an egg into each indention.
- Reduce the heat, cover the skillet with the lid, and cook on low until the egg whites are set.
Step 3: Garnish and serve!
- Uncover the skillet and garnish with parsley. You can add more black pepper or crushed red pepper, if you like. Serve hot.