Chilli Spice Paste
- 8 bulbs shallot
- 15 cloves garlic
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cm ginger
- 2 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 fish head (ang goli/red seabream)
- 200 g blended chilli paste
- 500 ml water
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 1 medium brinjal
- 1 small carrot
- 10 ladies fingers
- 3 long beans
- 2 tomatoes
- 3-4 taupok (beancurd puffs)
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1.5 tsp assam paste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 3 tbsp curry powder
- 8 tbsp cooking oil
Prepare the curry paste
- Add all the chili spice ingredients into Kenwood Food Processor & blend to form a paste.
- Heat up a frying wok, add in 8 tablespoons of cooking oil & the blended chili paste.
- Fry on low heat, add 1 teaspoon of salt & 1 teaspoon of sugar. Fry until oil separates from paste for about 20 minutes.
- Scoop out 200g of this chili paste for curry recipe. Keep the remaining in a clean glass container, it can be used for other dishes.
Cook the curry
- Cut brinjal, carrot, ladies fingers & long beans into pieces of about 5cm long. Cut taupok into smaller pieces (if necessary).
- Using a pot/wok big enough for curry, add in 200g of chili paste, curry powder, fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds & curry leaves. Fry briefly and add in 500ml of water to boil.
- Add in carrots, brinjal & tomatoes. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add in ladies fingers & long beans.
- Stir in assam paste & boil for another 5 minutes.
- Add in coconut milk, add in 1 teaspoon of mushroom seasoning (or replace with salt to taste). Let mixture boil, put in fish head & taupok, cook for about 10 minutes.
- Off the heat, cover with lid & let it rest for at least half an hour to infuse the curry flavours.