- 1 kg lean ground pork at least 20% fat
- 1 tbsp Rose Flavoured wine Mei Kuei Lu
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 200 g sugar
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- red colouring optional
- 1 1/2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp water
Step 1: Prepare the meat and marinate overnight
- Mix all the bak kwa ingredients thoroughly in a big bowl. Cover and refrigerate for overnight.
Step 2: Bake the bak kwa to dry it
- Place a large piece of parchment paper on a flat surface and add half of the meat mixture onto it.
- Place another piece of parchment paper on top of the mixture and roll it flat with a rolling pin.
- Transfer the papers onto a large baking tray and continue to roll and shape the mixture into an even rectangle. Remove the top parchment paper when done.
- Bake the mixture in an oven at 150 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes.
Step 3: Cut and season the bak kwa
- Use a scissors or pizza cutter to cut the baked meat into pieces and transfer to a wire rack.
- Apply the honey syrup generously over one side of the bak kwa.
- • Bake the bak kwa in the oven at 220⁰C between 3 - 5 minutes or until the jerky start to brown on the edges of both sides. Remove from oven, flip over the pieces and apply the honey syrup. Bake again until the edges are browned.