- 175 g plain flour
- 125 g unsalted butter
- 140 g Del Monte California Pitted Prunes cut into quarter
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 140 g sugar
- 30 ml water
- 4 tbsp orange/apple juice
- 100 g blanched walnut chopped
- 50 g pine nuts
- 100 g walnut chopped for garish
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 113 g unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 280 g cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 215 g powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
Prepare the cake batter
- In a saucepan, add in sugar. Cook over low heat till it caramelises. #Tip: Do not stir. You may twirl the saucepan to spread the sugar.
- Add in water and butter, use a wooden spoon and stir till the butter has fully melted.
- Add in cut prunes, walnuts and pine nuts. Stir till the mixture boil. Pour the mixture into a mixing bowl and let it cool down slightly. Pour in lemon juice.
- Sift in plain flour, bicarbonate soda, nutmeg powder and salt into the prune’s mixture. Stir to mix well.
- Beat eggs separately with vanilla essence and add into the mixture.
- Pour mixture into a case and cover it with aluminium foil. #Tip: This will prevent the water from dripping into the cake as it steams.
Steam the cake
- Pre-heat the steamer for 10 mins.
- Steam the cake for 2 hours. Water will evaporate as it steams, hence, remember to check the water level and top it up every 20 - 30 mins depending on the size of your steamer.
- After cake is cooked, off the heat. Remove the lid and leave it in the steamer to cool for 2 hrs.
- Once the cake completed cool, take out from steamer and sprinkle orange juice on it. #Tip: This will keep the cake moist.
- Wrap in an aluminium foil and keep in an air tight container. Keep it for 3 days in room temperature, the taste will get richer and it will look shinier.
Prepare the cream cheese frosting (prepare before serving the cake)
- Add butter and cream cheese into the mixing bowl. Fit on the paddle attachment, beat it till it’s creamy, well-combined, and lump-free.
- Add in half portion of powdered sugar, beat it on low speed till the ingredients combine.
- Add vanilla essence, lemon juice, heavy cream, continue to beat it.
- Add in the remaining powdered sugar, beat till it has fully combined.
Assemble and ready to serve
- Place cake on serving plate, spread the cream cheese and sprinkle generously with chopped walnuts.