- 1 kg beef flank cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 stalk turmeric leaf cut into 5 cm wide
- 110 g coconut paste/butter also known as Kerisik
- 250 ml coconut milk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt to taste
- chopped coriander for garnish
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander chopped
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 3 stalks lemongrass cut into smaller pieces
- 1 inch ginger sliced roughly
- 1 inch tumeric sliced roughly
- 1 inch galangal julienned
- 9 pieces shallots sliced roughly
- 1 onion cut into wedges
- 5 cloves garlic
- 10 stalks dried chillies soaked in water and cut into halves
- 400 ml water for blending
Prepare the spice paste
- In a saucepan, add in all the spices, except water. Dry roast it for 3 mins on low-medium heat till aromatic.
- Transfer the ingredients to a blender. Add in water and blend it to a thick paste.
Cook and serve the dish
- Pour the spice paste to a saucepan.
- Add in beef and turmeric leaf, mix it well and bring it to a boil.
- Once beef is half cooked, add in coconut paste and coconut milk.
- Cover with the lid and allow it to simmer in the Quicker Cooker for 30 mins on low-medium heat.
- Remove the lid, give it a stir to prevent the beef from getting burnt. Simmer it for another 10 mins till the gravy thickens. It’s ready when the beef is soft and tender. If it’s too hard to bite, add in 100ml water and continue to simmer to your desired doneness.
- Season with salt and sugar. Mix it evenly and ready to serve.