Ingredients for Laksa gravy
- 600 g prawn heads
- 3 L water
- 1.5 L coconut milk
- 2.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 70 g dried shrimps soak in 1 cup of hot water for 20 mins, drained & minced
Ingredients for Rempah paste
- 300 g shallots
- 5 pcs garlic
- 5 pcs red chilli deseeded
- 3 pcs lemongrass
- 20 g fresh turmeric
- 80 g galangal (blue ginger)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp grounded coriander powder
- 20 g Belachan roasted
- Yellow noodles or Rice vermicelli Amount sufficient for 8 pax
- 1 pkt beancurd puffs as desired
- 1 fish cake as desired
- 32 prawns Quantity as desired. Boiled in water.
- 8 hard-boiled eggs as desired
- fresh cockles as desired
- beansprouts Quantity as desired. Parboil the beansprouts.
- laksa leaves minced
Prepare the prawn stock
- Add 3L water into a big pot and bring it to a boil.
- In a pan, add in some oil and fry the prawn heads until they are dry and fragrant.
- Add in some boiling water into the prawn heads, use a potato masher to press them. This will help to release more flavour into the soup.
- Pour the prawn heads and the juices into the pot of boiling water.
- Turn the heat down to low medium heat, and simmer the stock with the lid on for 1 hour.
Prepare and cook the rempah paste
- Using the Kenwood Food Processor FDM302SS's miller attachment, blend the soaked dried shrimp into fine pieces. Add the water, that was used to soak the dried shrimp, into the prawn stock.
- Switch out the miller and attach the blender. Add in all the rempah ingredients and blend them into a paste. Add in more water gradually to facilitate the blending.
- Heat up oil in a frying pan. Fry the rempah paste till it turns dark red on low medium heat. This step may take about 15 - 30 mins.
- Once the colour has changed, add in chopped dried shrimp and fry till they are evenly mixed with the paste.
Cook the Laksa gravy
- Remove the prawn head from the stock and add the cooked rempah paste into the pot.
- Bring the stock to a boil then add coconut milk. Stir as you add the coconut milk.
- Turn the heat down to medium or medium-low. Add beancurd puff and bring the stock to a soft boil.
- Once the stock has come to a soft boil, add some salt and sugar to season as desired.
Cook the noodle and assemble the laksa noodle
- Cook the noodle in boiling water and placed it in a serving bowl. Pour in the laksa gravy, add your favourite toppings, and serve hot.