- 1 kg whole chicken
- 2 1/4 cups light soya sauce
- 1 1/3 cups KCT Dark Soya Sauce Superior
- 12 cups water
- 10 cloves garlic skin on
- 4 slices ginger
- 16 dry rose buds
- 3 tbsp rock sugar
- 3 stalks spring onion
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Add garlic, ginger, rose buds, rock sugar, spring onions, light and dark soya sauce, and 8 cups of water into a pot and bring it to a boil for 10 minutes.
- Gently place chicken into pot and add the remaining 4 cups of water or as needed to fully submerge the chicken in the sauce.
- Once the sauce boils again, cover the pot, lower the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes. #Tip: if you added more water to submerge the chicken, remember to do a taste test and adjust the seasoning after simmering the chicken.
- Turn off the heat and remove the chicken from the pot. Let if cool off a little before chopping into pieces for serving. Set aside on a serving plate.
- Scoop 2 ladles of sauce into a small sauce pan and heat it up. Once the sauce boils, thicken the sauce with cornstarch to form a thick gravy. Remove gravy from heat and drizzle over chopped chicken.
- #Tip: use the remaining sauce to braise tau gua and hard boiled eggs for 15 minutes as additional sides. You can also keep the remaining sauce int the fridge to cook for the next day.