- 3 cups brown rice rinised
- 2 1/2 cups water use rice cup
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 pieces skinless chicken thighs cut into bite-size
- 2 chinese sausage
- 20 g salted fish cut into small pieces, Ikan Kurau
- 25 g preserved radish shred and soak in water for 5 mins
- 4 bunch chye sim
- A pinch of salt
- A dash of pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp dark soya sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp garlic oil
- 2 stalks spring onion chopped, for garnishing
- 1 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 6 slices ginger
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp chinese cooking oil optional
Prepare the chicken & Chinese sausage
- Marinate the chicken with the seasoning. Set aside.
- Soak the Chinese sausage in hot water. Remove the wax coating and slice diagonally. Set aside.
Cook the rice and ingredients
- Pour the rice, 2 ½ cups of water and a pinch of salt into the big claypot. Give it a stir and bring it to a boil over medium high heat.
- 5 – 7 minutes later, spread chicken in a single layer and top it with shredded radish, salted fish and Chinese sausage on the top of the rice. Do not stir. TIP: Laying the chicken in a single layer will allow it to be cooked evenly and the juice to be infused into the rice.
- Reduce the heat to slightly below medium and cook for about 25 mins. Rotate the claypot every 5 minutes by tilting on the four sides. This will allow the rice to be cooked evenly and enables the smoke inside the pot to cook the chicken for a smokey scent.
- Lower the heat and turn the pot straight up. Gently stir all the ingredients in the pot, but not the rice, to make sure they are thoroughly cooked.
- Add in the Chye Sim, cover the lid and cook for another 5 mins.
Ready to serve
- When the rice is cooked, bring the whole pot to the dining table. Have a coaster at the bottom to prevent burning the table.
- Open the lid, add in sesame oil, garlic oil and dark soya sauce and give it a good stir with all the ingredients. Adjust the taste to your preference.
- Garnish with spring onion and serve while it is hot.