- 1 packet Leaf buns 10 pcs, steam according to instructions
- 10 pcs Curly lettuce
- 300 g Fresh Yam slice to 18 x 1cm thickness, width to follow shape of leaf bun
- 2 Pressed Tofu sliced to 1 cm thickness, dry on paper towel before frying
- 1 L oil for frying
- 1 star anise
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 slices ginger thumb size
- 2 spring onion white part only, cut to large pieces
- 250 ml water
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp five spice powder
- 2 tsp soya sauce
- 2 tsp cooking wine
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- cornflour slurry 3 tsp cornflour + 2 tsp water
Step 1: Fry the yam and tofu
- In a pan with heated oil, pan-fry the tofu till golden brown. Set aside.
- Add in more oil, and shallow-fry the Yam slices till golden brown. Set aside.
Step 2: Cook the braising sauce
- In a hot pan, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add in Star anise, bay leave, ginger and spring onion. Fry still aromatic.
- Add in water and the remaining seasoning, and let it simmer. Give a taste test and if the taste is good, thicken it using cornflour slurry.
Step 3: Layer the ingredients, steam and ready to eat
- In a shallow bowl, layer the tofu and the yam. Spread the braising sauce on them. Ensure that the yam and tofu fill the bowl so the ingredients do not topple after flipping them onto a plate.
- Steam for 30 mins and ready to serve with the steamed bun and curly lettuce.